Securing an audiology referral is the first step to addressing your hearing problems. The good news is that you can now obtain an audiology referral without stepping out of your home. Simply book a video consultation at Instant Consult, talk to our AHPRA-accredited Australian doctors, and if deemed necessary, you’ll get your referral form in an instant.
At Instant Consult, we understand the importance and urgency of diagnostic assessments. Whether you’re suffering from tinnitus or gradual hearing loss, seeing an audiologist as soon as possible can help you manage your ear health better. That’s why we make it our mission to make the referral process easier and more convenient for you.
Forget about driving when your ears are ringing or getting stuck in waiting rooms when you can barely hear anything. Our online consultations ensure your journey to optimal hearing is hassle-free.
So don’t let hearing impairments define your story. Book your online consultation today and get your audiology referral effortlessly.
Do I Need a Referral to See an Audiologist in Australia?
Not necessarily. You can see an audiologist in Australia without a referral, but having one can be handy. Here’s why:
- Access to Specialised Care: An audiology referral from your GP lets you access specialised audiology services. It opens doors to expert health professionals and medical practitioners who really know their stuff about hearing health.
- Tailored Hearing Assessments: Audiology referrals typically list down your symptoms and specific auditory concerns. So the audiologist can get right to the heart of any hearing issues you might have and address them promptly.
- Eligibility for Programs: With a referral, you might be eligible for Medicare rebates or the Department of Health’s Hearing Services Program. This means more affordable audiology assessments, consultations, and possibly even cochlear implants.
- Paediatric Care: For the little ones, an audiology referral is crucial. A child’s hearing is vital for their development, and early detection of any issues can make a world of difference.
- Coordinated Healthcare: A referral ensures that all your healthcare providers, including GPs, audiologists, and other allied health professionals, are on the same page.
- Diagnostic Accuracy: Referrals often lead to more thorough diagnostic assessments. This means if you have a complex case, like vestibular disorders or middle ear problems, you’re getting the right tests and the right treatment.
How to Book an Online Appointment for an Audiology Referral
Booking an online consultation for an audiology referral with Instant Consult is easier than you think. Here’s how you can do it:
- Sign up or Log in: First things first, hop onto the Instant Consult website or download our app. If you’re new, you’ll need to create an account. Don’t worry, it’s quick and easy. Just fill in some basic information, follow the prompts, and you’re good to go.
- Connect with Our Doctors: Click on the “Request a Consult” button on our homepage or the app’s dashboard. One of our AHPRA-certified doctors will connect with you in 15 minutes or less.
- Discuss Your Needs: Talk to our doctors about your hearing issues or any concerns you might have. Be transparent about it so they can better assess your needs and if your condition requires a specialist’s touch.
- Get Your Referral: If your doctor thinks you need further auditory health services, they’ll issue a referral right away. You can use this to access a range of audiology services, from hearing assessments to exploring options like hearing aids.
What Other Audiology Services Can I Access With a Referral?
Your referrals aren’t just about seeing an audiologist. It also opens the door for other audiology services like:
- Hearing Assessments: From basic hearing screenings to comprehensive hearing tests, these assessments are necessary to evaluate your hearing ability. They can be conducted at your local hospital or in outpatient clinics.
- Hearing Aid Services: If it turns out you need a little help in the hearing department, audiologists can guide you through choosing and fitting hearing aids. Plus, they’ll stick around for any adjustments or maintenance you might need later.
- Cochlear Implant Services: For those with severe hearing loss, cochlear implants can be life-changing. Audiologists provide assessments, fittings, and follow-up care.
- Vestibular Assessments: Ears play a big part in keeping you steady on your feet. If you’re feeling a bit wobbly, vestibular assessments can figure out what’s going on.
- Speech and Language Services: Often working alongside speech pathology professionals, audiologists can assist in assessing and treating speech and language disorders, especially in children.
Instant access to chat with a doctor with a comprehensive range of services
With Instant Consult, you can chat with a doctor and get help for a wide range of medical requests, all from the comfort of your home!
Are you too ill to come into work and need to give your boss a medical certificate? With Instant Consult you can chat with a doctor and get a medical certificate sent directly to your app’s inbox, all without getting out of bed!
If you need a new prescription or need to update an ongoing one then you can use our app to instantly chat to a doctor who can prepare your prescription promptly!
If you have a medical condition that needs treatment from a specialist, one of our GP’s can send a digital referral straight to your app’s inbox.
If you need a blood cell count or to check for STDs/STIs or need any other kind of bloodwork you can easily get a pathology request sent to your inbox by any of our fully licensed online GPs. You can then take the request to the clinic of your choice.
If you require any special kind of diagnostic imaging such as a CAT scan or an MRI you can get a request from one of our online GPs which you can then take to your preferred provider.
What Conditions Warrant an Audiology Referral?
Before our doctors will issue a referral, they will assess your condition first to make sure it warrants one. Some of the most common conditions that are often referred to audiologists are:
- Hearing Loss: This includes age-related hearing loss, sudden hearing loss, or hearing loss due to other health conditions.
- Tinnitus: That constant ringing or buzzing in your ears? It’s a common reason to see an audiologist.
- Middle Ear Conditions: Things like chronic ear infections or fluid in the ear that can affect hearing.
- Vestibular Disorders: If you’ve got issues with balance or dizziness, it could be linked to inner ear problems.
- Auditory Processing Disorders: This is about how the brain processes the sounds it hears, and it’s especially important in children.
- Congenital Hearing Impairments: Hearing issues present at birth or that develop in early childhood.
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss: Common in people exposed to loud noises at work or through hobbies.
Note that if you experience sudden, severe hearing loss, intense pain in your ears, or a sudden issue with balance or dizziness, don’t wait for a referral. These could be signs of a serious condition that needs immediate attention at the emergency department.
Easy Audiology Referrals at Your Convenience
Get ready to hear the world in a whole new way. Book an online consultation with Instant Consult today and get your audiology referral without the wait!
Plus, we offer a range of other health services, including general medical consultations, online prescriptions, medical certificates, and even requests for blood tests and X-rays. Our GPs can also issue referrals to other specialists, from mental health to dermatologists and even optometrists. Choose Instant Consult for seamless, gold-standard healthcare, all from the convenience of your home.
Community of Doctors
Australian registered, fully qualified, insured and experienced Doctors right at your fingertips ready for an instant online consult