Requesting a mental health referral can feel like a big step, but it’s a positive move towards getting the help you need. At Instant Consult, we make asking for mental health referrals convenient, safe, and tailored to your comfort. Our GPs can link you up with a mental health professional without the need to go out of your home or endure hours in waiting rooms.
Simply book an online consultation, discuss your mental health concerns, and ask your GP for a mental health referral. To make the process smoother and less daunting, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Be Open and Honest: It’s okay if you can’t put everything into words perfectly – just share what you’re feeling and going through. Our GP is there to listen and help.
- Explain Your Needs: Maybe you’re looking for specific mental health services, like a psychologist or a counsellor, or perhaps you’re not sure what you need, and that’s okay too. Our GP can direct you to the right mental health professionals.
- Consider Writing It Down: If you’re nervous, jotting down your thoughts or symptoms beforehand can be a big help.
Remember, you’re not alone, and asking for help is a strong and brave thing to do. Booking that appointment is the first step to getting the mental health support you deserve.
Do I Need a Mental Health Referral to See a Psychologist?
Technically, you can see a psychologist without a referral. Psychologists are primary care providers, so you can book an appointment with them directly. However, having one has its perks, especially in terms of cost and coordinated care. Here are some reasons why you should get a mental health referral:
- Medicare Rebates: With a referral, you can access Medicare rebates. This means lower costs for your sessions.
- Coordinated Care: Your GP and the psychologist can work together to provide you with tailored care. It’s like having a team supporting your mental health journey.
- Better Understanding: A referral usually comes with a brief about your mental health history. This helps the psychologist understand your needs quicker.
Can I get a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan using Instant Consult?
Doctors are unable to generate a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan via the Instant Consult platform. Please see your local GP. Alternatively, our doctors can refer you to your nominated psychologist who may then prepare a management plan for you.
How Our GPs Can Help in Your Mental Health Journey
While our general practitioners do not specialise in treating mental illnesses, they can be an essential partner in your mental health journey – in more ways than one:
- Initial Assessment: Think of our GPs as your first point of call. They’re the first step in understanding and managing your mental health.
- Understanding Your Needs: They’re great listeners. Even though they’re not specialists in mental illnesses, they’re trained to understand your symptoms and concerns.
- Referrals to Specialists: Our GPs can refer you to mental health professionals who specialise in what you need, whether it’s a psychologist, psychiatrist, or counsellor.
Note, however, that if you or someone is in distress and need immediate intervention, please reach out to suicide prevention helplines like Lifeline, Beyond Blue, Headspace, Kids Helpline and more or head to your nearest emergency department.
Disclaimer: Instant Consult is not affiliated with any of the mental health helplines mentioned above. For immediate mental health support, please contact the appropriate helplines available in your area.
Instant access to chat with a doctor with a comprehensive range of services
With Instant Consult, you can chat with a doctor and get help for a wide range of medical requests, all from the comfort of your home!
Are you too ill to come into work and need to give your boss a medical certificate? With Instant Consult you can chat with a doctor and get a medical certificate sent directly to your app’s inbox, all without getting out of bed!
If you need a new prescription or need to update an ongoing one then you can use our app to instantly chat to a doctor who can prepare your prescription promptly!
If you have a medical condition that needs treatment from a specialist, one of our GP’s can send a digital referral straight to your app’s inbox.
If you need a blood cell count or to check for STDs/STIs or need any other kind of bloodwork you can easily get a pathology request sent to your inbox by any of our fully licensed online GPs. You can then take the request to the clinic of your choice.
If you require any special kind of diagnostic imaging such as a CAT scan or an MRI you can get a request from one of our online GPs which you can then take to your preferred provider.
How to Book an Online Consultation with Our GPs
Ready to talk about your mental health with our AHPRA-accredited, Australian-registered general practitioners? Here’s how you can book an online consultation at Instant Consult:
1. Sign up or Log In: Start by downloading the Instant Consult app. Then sign up or log in to your account if you already have one. If you’re on your PC, you can also go to www.instantconsult.com.au.
2. Book a Consultation: On the app’s dashboard, click on “Request a Consult” and follow the prompts. One of our GPs will connect with you in 15 minutes or less.
3. Talk to Your GP: During the consultation, tell your doctor about your symptoms, experiences, and feelings. Your doctor may also ask about your daily activities, mental health history, family history, substance use, as well as any thoughts about harming yourself or others. These are important health information that can help them better assess your situation and needs.
4: Receive Your Referral: After the consultation, your referral letter will be sent directly to your Instant Consult inbox. You can then use this to schedule an appointment with the recommended mental health service provider. It’s fast, secure, and can be done at your convenience in any place you’re comfortable.
The Benefits of Getting a Mental Health Referral Online
Starting a conversation about mental health can be tough, but guess what? Getting a mental health referral online has made it a whole lot easier and more comfortable. Here are some of the perks of getting your mental health referral at Instant Consult:
- Convenience: Accessing a referral online means you can do it from the comfort of your home, eliminating the need for travel and waiting rooms.
- Accessibility: Online referrals are great for people in remote or rural areas where local health services might be limited.
- Flexibility: We have doctors available from 6 AM to midnight AEST seven days a week, making it easier to fit an appointment into a busy schedule.
- Privacy and Comfort: Discussing mental health can be challenging. Doing so in your own space can feel more private and comfortable.
- Quick Access: At Instant Consult, you can book a telehealth consultation within minutes, reducing the waiting time to speak with a GP about your mental health concerns.
- Comprehensive Care: Just like in-person GPs, our online doctors can provide a wide range of health services in addition to mental health referrals. During your consultation, you can also get general medical advice, medical certificates, online prescriptions, blood tests and X-ray requests, and referrals to other specialists depending on your needs.
Community of Doctors
Australian registered, fully qualified, insured and experienced Doctors right at your fingertips ready for an instant online consult
Every Australian Deserves Better Access to Mental Health Services
Every Australian deserves the best when it comes to mental health care. If you’re ready to take the next step in your mental health journey, Instant Consult is here for you. With just a few clicks, you can book an online consultation, talk to a GP, and secure a mental health referral. It’s quick, confidential, and comfortable.
Don’t wait for the care you need – book your appointment now and start making a positive change in your mental health journey. You’re not alone on this, and help is just a click away.