Yes, it’s possible to get a medical certificate without physically seeing a doctor - the keyword being “physically”. With telehealth services becoming more popular in Australia, you can now secure a doctor’s certificate without having to go to a clinic. However, you still need to consult with an Australian registered doctor to get a valid medical certificate.
“The certificate may include information provided by the patient, but the doctor’s assessment should be based on a medical condition observed by the doctor or reported by the patient and accepted by the doctor.”
In short, the information on the certificate should be based on the medical practitioner’s own observation. If they haven’t seen you or talked to you, how will they observe your condition and determine if you are indeed as sick as you claim to be? This is why you still need to consult with a qualified doctor, though you don’t have to see one in person.
Why Medical Certificates Need To Be Accurate
To understand why seeing a doctor is a prerequisite to getting a medical certificate, you need to understand its significance. Here’s why it’s important that medical certificates reflect accurate information:
- Legal Compliance: A medical certificate is not just a piece of paper you show your employer when you file a personal leave. It’s a legal document that can be used in legal proceedings.
- Building Trust: Medical certificates need to be accurate to maintain trust between employees and employers or in educational settings.
- Appropriate Treatment: Accurate information ensures correct medical treatment. It helps healthcare providers understand your condition better.
- Protecting Work Rights: Accurate certificates safeguard your rights under the Fair Work Act 2009. This includes entitlements like sick leave and carer’s leave.
- Preventing Misuse: They help prevent the abuse of sick leave benefits. This is important for maintaining a fair workplace.
Can You Get a Medical Certificate Over the Phone or Online?
So, you’re feeling under the weather and can’t make it to the doctor’s office? No worries. With telehealth consultations, it’s now possible to get medical certificates online and over the phone. Telehealth services like Instant Consult connect you with a fully qualified Australian registered doctor for a quick video consultation.
During the call, the doctor will chat with you about how you’re feeling. They’ll ask questions to understand your symptoms. If they think you need a sick note, they can issue one right after the consultation.
The best part? You’ll usually get the certificate digitally delivered to you. So, you can forward it to your work or school with just a few clicks. This is especially useful for short periods of illness or when you can’t visit a doctor in person. Note, however, that there are certain medical issues that require a physical consultation before you can get a medical certificate.
Are Certificates Issued by Online Doctors Valid in Australia?
Yes, as long as the online doctor is fully qualified, the medical certificates they issue are valid and can be used just like those from a traditional doctor’s visit.
Fully qualified, in this context, means the doctor is licensed to practice medicine in Australia, and they follow the same professional standards and guidelines as their counterparts who work in clinics. For instance, our online doctors at Instant Consult are AHPRA-accredited, and practise to the standards developed by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and the Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine (ACRRM) for medical services. That means they can issue certificates just like any doctor who conducts physical consultations.
The Australian healthcare system also regulates telehealth services to ensure that online consultations meet national healthcare standards. That’s why any certificates born out of these consultations are valid anywhere in Australia.
Instant access to chat with a doctor with a comprehensive range of services
With Instant Consult, you can chat with a doctor and get help for a wide range of medical requests, all from the comfort of your home!
Are you too ill to come into work and need to give your boss a medical certificate? With Instant Consult you can chat with a doctor and get a medical certificate sent directly to your app’s inbox, all without getting out of bed!
If you need a new prescription or need to update an ongoing one then you can use our app to instantly chat to a doctor who can prepare your prescription promptly!
If you have a medical condition that needs treatment from a specialist, one of our GP’s can send a digital referral straight to your app’s inbox.
If you need a blood cell count or to check for STDs/STIs or need any other kind of bloodwork you can easily get a pathology request sent to your inbox by any of our fully licensed online GPs. You can then take the request to the clinic of your choice.
If you require any special kind of diagnostic imaging such as a CAT scan or an MRI you can get a request from one of our online GPs which you can then take to your preferred provider.
What Types of Medical Certificates Can You Get Online?
At Instant Consult, our doctors can provide online certificates for both work and school purposes, such as:
- Single-Day Sick Leave Certificate: This type is for when you’re unwell and need a day off work. It’s perfect for those days when a sudden illness strikes, but expect to recover quickly.
- Multi-Day Sick Leave Certificate: If your illness is more serious and requires a longer recovery time, this certificate is suitable. It covers multiple days, though our doctors can only issue certificates covering no more than 3 days of leave.
- Carer’s Leave Certificate: This certificate is for when you need to take time off to care for an immediate family or household member who is ill.
The Limitations of Online Medical Certificates
While telehealth consultations make obtaining medical certificates a lot more convenient, it has its limitations. This includes:
- Not for Complex Cases: Online certificates are great, but not for complex medical issues. If your condition is serious, you need to see a doctor in person.
- Limited Physical Examination: Doctors can’t do a physical check-up online. They rely on your description of symptoms, which might not always be enough.
- Diagnosis Limitations: Online doctors can’t conduct certain tests. This means some conditions, like certain mental health issues, might not be included in your medical certificate.
In short, telehealth services work best for simple, acute conditions and situations where physical examination or complex diagnostics are not critical. For health issues where physical consultation is necessary, in-person medical care is often the better choice.
Community of Doctors
Australian registered, fully qualified, insured and experienced Doctors right at your fingertips ready for an instant online consult
How to Get a Medical Certificate Online
Need a medical certificate today? With Instant Consult, getting a medical certificate is just a few clicks away! Here’s how:
1. Book a Telehealth Appointment: Download the Instant Consult app and sign up for an account. On the home screen, click on the “Request a Consult” button and follow the prompts. The first available doctor will connect with you in under 15 minutes.
2. Chat with Our Doctor: During the video call, tell your doctor your symptoms, medical history, any medications you’re taking and any other health information they might ask to assess your condition. If you have a valid Medicare card, our consults are bulk-billed for patients 12 months and younger.
3. Receive Your Medical Certificate: If your doctor deems it necessary, your medical certificate will be sent to your Instant Consult inbox immediately after the consultation. It will stay there until you delete it. Note that our doctors do not backdate medical certificates.
4. Share Your Medical Certificate: You download and print your certificate or send it to your boss or any relevant party straight from your Instant Consult app.
Don’t let the hassle of in-person consultations prevent you from claiming the leave entitlements you deserve. Book a consultation with our doctors now and get your medical certificate in minutes!