Obtaining specialist referrals online in Australia is now so much easier with Instant Consult. Skip the waiting rooms and any unnecessary hassle - just quick, easy online referrals issued by a highly qualified Australian-registered doctor.
Whether you need a new specialist referral, a repeat specialist referral, or a change of specialist referral, our doctors can link you up with the right medical specialist for your needs. Just book a quick video call, and if deemed appropriate, you can receive your referral letter right from the comfort of your own home. Instant Consult brings access to expert, specialised care right at your fingertips.
What is a Specialist Referral?
A specialist referral is a recommendation made by a primary care doctor or general practitioner (GP) for a patient to see a specialist doctor or healthcare provider for further examination, diagnosis, or treatment. Specialist Referrals are necessary if you have a specific health problem that requires specialised expertise.
The referral usually includes details about your condition, the reason for referring, and any relevant clinical information to assist the specialist in providing targeted care.
How to Request a Specialist Referral Online
- Book an Online Consultation: Download the Instant Consult app and create an account or log in if you already have one. Our app is available on both PlayStore and App Store. Or, if you’re using your PC, you can also go to patient.instantconsult.com.au on a Google Chrome or Safari browser.
- Request a Consultation: Once logged in, request a video consultation by clicking on the “Request a Consult” button on the app’s dashboard or the Instant Consult homepage. Follow the prompts, and you’ll be connected to a fully qualified AHPRA-accredited Australian doctor within 15 minutes.
- Discuss Your Health Concerns: During your telehealth consultation, explain your health issues, symptoms, medical history, and any other important health information to your doctor. Be as detailed as possible so they can properly assess your medical needs.
- Receive Your Referral: If the doctor determines that a specialist’s evaluation is needed, they will write a specialist referral for you. This could be for various types of specialists, depending on your health needs.
- Access and Use Your Referral: The referral letter will be sent directly to your Instant Consult inbox. You can then use this referral to book an appointment with the recommended specialist doctor.
Conditions That Require Specialist Referrals
While general practitioners can provide valuable advice on a range of health issues, there are certain medical conditions that are beyond the expertise of your regular GP or our online doctors. Here are some of the conditions that typically require the expertise of a specialist doctor:
- Heart Conditions: If you’re experiencing symptoms like chest pain or irregular heartbeats, a referral to a cardiologist can be crucial.
- Skin Disorders: Chronic acne, psoriasis, suspicious moles, rashs or severe eczema needs a dermatologist’s expertise.
- Digestive Issues: Persistent digestive problems like severe heartburn, bloating, or irregular bowel movements might lead to a gastroenterologist referral.
- Mental Health Concerns: Experiencing ongoing stress, anxiety, or depression? A referral to a psychiatrist or psychologist can help you get the proper help you need.
- Women’s Health Issues: For complex gynecological concerns like abnormal menstrual cycles or menopause symptoms, seeing a gynecologist is a must.
- Pediatric Issues: From childhood asthma to Autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, and developmental delays, a pediatrician or pediatric specialist can offer dedicated care tailored to young patients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although some specialists may accept a generic referral, this is not always the case. We strongly recommend that you do some research in to which specialists you would like to see and whether they have available appointments before requesting a consult with one of our GPs.
Specialist details that should be provided are:
- Name of specialist
If you require a specialist referral to be amended it must be requested immediately after your consult, or at least on the same day so they may be assessed and reviewed by the issuing doctor.
To contact us please send an email to email@example.com or call 1300 003 310 to speak with one of our support team members for assistance.
Specialist Referrals enable you to receive a Medicare rebate on your specialist appointment if you have a valid Medicare card.
Fees are for the consultations itself – not what medical documents are issued to you. Just like any consultation if you were to visit a local medical clinic, we cannot guarantee what medical documents or advise the doctor will issue you. You will have to have a consultation where the doctor will ask about your health history, symptoms and any other details required, so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not the consult will result in a medical document being supplied.
Consults are covered by Medicare and are bulk-billed with a valid Medicare card for patients under 12 months of age only.
Medicare stipulates we cannot bulk-bill any patients who are not under 12 months of age.
If you are not eligible for a bulk-billed consult, the following private fees are applicable and not rebateable by Medicare:
|Standard Consult (less than 10 minutes)
|Long Consult (more than 10 minutes)
- Cardiologist: Specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of heart and cardiovascular conditions.
- Dermatologist: Focuses on skin, hair, and nail conditions and provides treatments for various dermatological issues.
- Neurologist: Specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders related to the nervous system, including neurological conditions like epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.
- Gastroenterologist: Focuses on the digestive system, including the stomach, intestines, and liver, and treats conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and liver disease.
- Rheumatologist: Specializes in the diagnosis and management of autoimmune and inflammatory disorders, including arthritis and related conditions.
- Endocrinologist: Manages hormonal disorders, such as diabetes, thyroid conditions, and hormonal imbalances.
- Obstetrician-Gynecologist: Provides care for women’s reproductive health, including pregnancy, childbirth, and gynecological conditions.
- Urologist: Specializes in the urinary tract and male reproductive system, treating conditions like kidney stones, urinary incontinence, and prostate issues.
- Orthopedic Surgeon: Deals with musculoskeletal problems, including joint pain, fractures, and orthopedic surgery.
- Ophthalmologist: Focuses on eye health and vision issues, providing services such as eye examinations, cataract surgery, and treatment for eye diseases.
- Pulmonologist: Specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of lung and respiratory conditions, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and lung infections.
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Specialist: Provides care for ear, nose, and throat issues, including hearing problems, sinus conditions, and throat disorders.
- Pediatrician: Specializes in the healthcare of children and adolescents, addressing a wide range of pediatric medical issues.
- Podiatrist: Treat conditions affecting the foot, ankle and lower limbs — including injuries, pain and balance issues.
- Psychiatrist: Focuses on mental health and the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders, including depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia.
- Allergist/Immunologist: Specializes in allergies and immune system disorders, providing treatment for allergies and immunodeficiency conditions.
- Nephrologist: Focuses on kidney health and the treatment of kidney diseases, including chronic kidney disease and kidney transplantation.
Technically, you can see a specialist such as audiology without a referral. However, you won’t be eligible for Medicare rebates without a valid referral from a GP or another specialist. In short, seeing a specialist without a referral may result in higher out-of-pocket costs.
Instant access to chat with a doctor with a comprehensive range of services
With Instant Consult, you can chat with a doctor and get help for a wide range of medical requests, all from the comfort of your home!
Are you too ill to come into work and need to give your boss a medical certificate? With Instant Consult you can chat with a doctor and get a medical certificate sent directly to your app’s inbox, all without getting out of bed!
If you need a new prescription or need to update an ongoing one then you can use our app to instantly chat to a doctor who can prepare your prescription promptly!
If you have a medical condition that needs treatment from a specialist, one of our GP’s can send a digital referral straight to your app’s inbox.
If you need a blood cell count or to check for STDs/STIs or need any other kind of bloodwork you can easily get a pathology request sent to your inbox by any of our fully licensed online GPs. You can then take the request to the clinic of your choice.
If you require any special kind of diagnostic imaging such as a CAT scan or an MRI you can get a request from one of our online GPs which you can then take to your preferred provider.
Choosing Instant Consult for Specialist Referrals
Opting for Instant Consult for your specialist referral needs is one of the best decisions you’ll ever make. Here’s why:
- Qualified Australian Doctors: Rest assured, you’re consulting with experienced, AHPRA-registered Australian doctors. Quality and reliability are at the core of our service.
- Flexible Healthcare Solutions: Whether you need a new referral or a repeat one, Instant Consult caters to all types of referral needs. This flexibility ensures you get the right care at the right time.
- Convenience at Your Fingertips: With Instant Consult, you get referrals right from home. No more travelling to clinics or waiting in lines. It’s healthcare on your schedule.
- Easy-to-Use Platform: The user-friendly interface makes managing your health needs straightforward. From requesting specialist referrals to securing medical certificates and requests for X-rays and radiology tests as well as blood tests and pathology services, accessing the telehealth service you need is just a few clicks away.
- Bulk-Billing: Our consults are covered by Medicare and bulk-billed for patients under 12 months of age with a valid Medicare card.
Community of Doctors
Australian registered, fully qualified, insured and experienced Doctors right at your fingertips ready for an instant online consult